Not So Plain Jane
January 11, 2010



I am so excited, and a little nervous, to post my first featured friends interview! A great big thank you to my friend Janie for allowing me to use her as my guinea pig. I hope all of you like these little bits of information from these inspiring women. There are many more to come including Vanessa Fox Halpert, Cynthia Nemo and Whitney Cutler. Stay tuned and keep reading. And now without further ado...here's JANIE!




BIO

I grew-up in Augusta , Georgia but my family is from Boston. I went to Groton and then ROLLINS (so fun!). I graduated and moved to New York immediately, working for Adrienne Vittadini, Calvin Klein Cosmetics and then Barneys (SOOOOOO AMAZING). I started my own handbag line called BUZZ by Jane Fox, lived in Gramercy Park and adored every second. I moved to Bryn Mawr in 2007 for a job at Lilly Pulitzer and am currently the Fashion Director. I seriously have to pinch myself because my job is so fun, challenging and rewarding. I have two of the kindness and most adorable girls on the planet, Sabrina 7 and Tiki 5.


(carved crayon, Janie's art table, Jonathan Adler pillow, Janie at front door, Winchester Rifles-Jane's family.)




What are five things that make you happy?


Spending all weekend in bed with my girls (Sabrina 7 and Tiki 5) watching movies, eating popcorn and giving each other manicures,laughing and cuddling.


Fresh Flowers


Sit-down dinner parties that last forever


Jewelry (how shallow!)


TRAVEL!



(A small collection of Janie's jewelry)


Favorite place you have traveled to/where do you want to go next?


My favorite place has been Bangkok because the people are so incredibly lovely. I am DYING to go to Morocco.

I have two trips coming-up that I am excited about. I leave Saturday for Shanghai/Hong Kong then in February I am taking my girls to Paris for the first time. DYING to introduce them to one of the most amazing cities in the world!


Three can't live without items in your wardrobe?


Tunics, caftans,anything flowy and chic!


Jewelry jewelry and jewelry. I collect vintage, buy off the street, gather on my travels. I love big statement pieces that you can't find anywhere else!


My coral lipstick. A little old lady but j'adore.


(Tiki running through the breakfast room, pillow that reads "the only difference between this place and the Titanic is that they had a band", books on her coffee table, Janie's dining room.)

Guilty pleasure?


Time alone. I get so little of it, and I adore my busy life but even the plane ride to Hong Kong (18 hours!) can be a treat. I read books, needlepoint,watch movies and the time flies.

I love to paint. If the house is quiet for a few hours I immediately get to my painting table and whip something out. Nothing serious, but it is relaxing and fun.



(Janie's bedrom built ins, one of her paintings, Tiki and Sabrina, needle point sign on front door)

Favorite smell?


OPIUM perfume. My mother wore it and I remember her kissing my goodbye before she went to a cocktail party, I thought she was the most glamorous woman in the world. I wear it religiously.


What would you do if you couldn't do what you do?


When I was little I used to say that I wanted to be a nun. I think I have shot that idea to hell (literally) I think my runner up is FLORIST!


You throw great parties, what advice can you give to ensure a successful event?


I love to have everything done before-hand so that the evening is not spent fussing. If you are relaxed your guests are relaxed. No disaster can deter a fun party.Roll with it. MANY times I have had people over for dinner and we are having so much fun with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres that I forget to serve the meal J


Favorite childhood memory?


My brother Ben and I are very close. We both had white blond hair as kids,We would build these forts with blankets and laugh and laugh for hours. Our hair would get static and be standing up, and I just remember my brother's mouth open laughing till we couldn't breathe. I have always been a happy person and I think it all started from a very happy childhood.


Who or what has influenced you the most?


Definitely my grandmother. She was incredibly chic, honest and down-to-earth. She taught me that TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH when it comes to jewelry. She lived in Montserrat, West Indies in the winter and the cape in the summer so she has the style of the gypsy wasp. Lots of caftans,cocktails promptly at 6pm with anyone and everyone that could come. She would tell you EXACTLY what was on her mind, but not in a mean way. She had a light pink carpet in her living room with a white greek key border. She loved PINK. Sometimes I feel as though I am just CHANNELING her.

xxoo







posted by Rachel McGinn at  |  0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




© 2008 RACHEL MCGINN PHOTOGRAPHY