Foxy Lady
January 17, 2010


vanessa and peter on her front stairs

It's Monday everyone! I am happy to introduce another great and inspiring friend to you- Vanessa Fox Halpert. She is a mother, a designer and all around trend setter in my mind. I am so fortunate to know her and thrilled that she agreed to let me photograph her home and studio.
Enjoy!

Bio

I was born and raised in Ardmore, PA. with my two older brothers. I went to Agnes Irwin for 13 years and then to St. Lawrence University. The summer after college I moved to New York City and lived there for 7 years. My first job was at Harper's Bazaar Magazine as the assistant to the Editor in Chief. Then I worked at Marie Claire Magazine as a Fashion Editor as well as Mirabella Magazine as a European Fashion Editor. In 2000, I started Vanessa Fox in my apartment dining room. Vanessa Fox won the "Today Throws a Wedding" bridesmaid vote with a navy 2 piece outfit and the rest is history. That changed my career...overnight. I opened a tiny store in New York and never looked back. I now live in Bryn Mawr, PA with my husband, Sam, and our 4 fantastic children; Reed, Lily, Charlie and Peter. I closed the New York store and opened a by-appointment studio next to our house.


her inspiration board, favorite dessert, daughter lily's room, roberta freeman cover up, something natural logo, front hall and isle de france on st. barths

You always manage to look so put together at drop off. What is your secret? Are you an early riser?

Those were the old days:) 4 kids changes EVERYTHING!! I am getting back into running, so not a lot of effort goes into my morning routine anymore. I used to try and shower first thing and then go RIGHT to the office after drop off. These days though, I have been so busy juggling a family of 4, I just try and step foot in my office at some point during the day.

her collection and master bedroom

How do you manage to balance 4 children, a dog and a successful business?

It is definitely a crazy and hectic lifestyle. BUT, I have an amazing husband who is such an incredible person and dad. He is a true partner in raising our family which allows me time to focus on my business. I truly believe I am a better mom though when I am working. I appreciate my time with my children, but also have time to focus on my design which is a real passion for me and makes me happy.

What does the Halpert family do on a night in?

PJ Party!!! Everyone gets in their pjs, we order in some pizza or chinese and then we head up and snuggle in our bed and watch a movie. SOOOO fun:)

peter's room with fun prints from vail, charlie's room

You have so many pretty little paintings in your house. Where do you find them?

They have been collected along the way...Nantucket (my favorites) Colorado, Rhode Island, London and around Philadelphia. All local artists found in either thrift shops or in galleries with young artists.

studio/office and business cards with signature lavender accents

Is having a home office a plus or minus?

PLUS! PLUS! PLUS! It is so easy to pop over and get work done either at night or on the weekends. And during the week, I have lunch with the little guys and Lily, put them down for a nap or just come over to say hi. I love being so close to them.

What would be your perfect day alone?

A day in New York City!!! Wandering and exploring with no time constraints- no train to catch- no babysitter to relieve. There is so much to do and see there. I love going in and out of small boutiques and looking at dresses - seeing how they are made, getting inspiration for new designs and having time with no one saying...."MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" And of course eating at my old favorite spots.

You are leaving for St. Barth's in a few days! What are five essentials you are packing and where are you staying?

It is our 10 year anniversary and we are SO EXCITED to go, we can barely stand it!!! This is our first time on St. Barths.

Packing:

BATHINGSUITS!!!!! Sam bought me one for christmas that could fit Lily's american girl doll. Should be interesting:)


Calypso dresses

My book, Twilight

Fun chandelier earrings

We are staying at Isle de France

living room

You are always so even keeled...does anything in particular really make you angry?

When my kids say mean and hurtful things to each other. It makes me so upset.

Do you have a favorite spot to find special pieces for yourself or for your home along the Main Line?

Special pieces for myself- Gramercy Boutique in Wayne
Home- Chelsea House in Haverford

Favorite flower, meal and cocktail?

Flower: Peony

Meal: Turkey sandwich, Utz potato chips, Diet coke on ice and frozen Rolos.

Cocktail: Heineken light or if it is a super special night- a bellini - YUM!!!!!

psssst.....next week- Cynthia Nemo





posted by Rachel McGinn at  |  2 comments

2 Comments:

Love reading this about Vanessa because Vanessa is such an incredible person! A true one of a kind!!! Thank you for sharing.

By Blogger Chairloom, at January 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

Beautiful photography!

By Blogger Ren, at January 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment




© 2008 RACHEL MCGINN PHOTOGRAPHY